Sunday, October 3, 2010

Oh, Ellen.

I watch The Ellen Degeneres show every morning. She is a great role model for children and adults, and truly gives back to her fans. She is a selfless person. She makes a ton of money, but loves to help out people who are having a difficult time making ends meet. Ellen is also a CoverGirl and brings a more humorous side to the realm of modeling and beauty products.


She is a lesbian, and speaks about it every so often on her television talk show. I remember a few years back I was getting my hair trimmed in my small hometown, and Ellen came up as a topic of conversation. Before I expressed how I felt about Ellen, my middle aged hair-dresser said: "Oh, Ellen, I can't stand her. She's gay, and she's on TV. I don't want my kids watching that shit. She talks about kissing her girlfriend or whatever, I just think her show needs to be taken off. Too many people watch that."

As she took the scissors to my hair, cutting away a little more feverishly than before, I decided to keep my mouth shut. I didn't want my opinion to make her hand slip and cut an ear off. In my mind, I was thinking, 'Are you serious? How can her sexuality even compare to the sex and violence on TV? How can you wish for a career to fail based on that?'

Many other thoughts raced through my head, possibly regarding the way she raised her children...I couldn't help the judgmental call-outs that were supporting my angered defense. So I said, "Well, I don't mind her."

Regarding the recent tragedy of the young college student who killed himself because his roomate video taped him having sex with another male, Ellen sent out this message. My hair dresser was being a bully. A close-minded bully. There is a serious lack of education and awareness.










No comments:

Post a Comment